Monday, June 20, 2011

My Opinion Monday - my independence

I've been independent since I can remember. I was never one to need my mom or dad by my side during all that I did. I went through the typical 7 year stint (that's normal right?) as a teenager where I thought my parents were the most uncool people on earth and wanted nothing to do with them. After selecting a college (what I thought was a mere) 4 hours away, I quickly learned that my parents weren't actually wrong and I soon wished I'd made other college plans. But here I am, almost 10 years later, still living 4 hours from my entire family while my brother lives a country 1.2 miles from the homestead.

I go about my day, much like the day before. Wake up, (sometimes, but not usually now) go to the gym (maybe), head home, have dinner, do some projects or shopping or veg out watching TV or hang out with friends, etc and then go to bed. Then I wake up and do it all over again. While I love my job, I do not travel to exotic places - although when the air was out I felt like I was working in the jungles of South Africa (is it hot there? I imagine it has to be!) - nor do I do anything so super awesome from 8:20-4:30 that I feel requires a phone call home to mom and dad....

My independence has always been good for me. For my mom though, not.so.much. Here I sit at 12:51AM on Monday morning because I can't sleep. My independence has gotten the best of me. I've weened  my mom off a Sunday and Thursday mandatory phone call (which we did my first 2 years of college) to a Sunday call. That quickly went to the wayside on my part and I called when I had something fun or interesting to say. As you read previously, not much happens. So I left it up to my mom to call me when she wanted to talk. This ultimately backfired. And tonight (well Sunday night, last night, a few short hours ago) was the night it happened.

I'm not going to get into too much detail because 1) my mom does read my blog ( hi mom!)  and 2) we'll get it sorted out tomorrow, not need for the blog world to  know all!

My mom and I are very much alike. We're both  stubborn and have a hard time admitting fault, which can make it difficult for either one of us to swallow our pride and just call. I want her to call me, she wants me to call her. When I don't call her, she doesn't call me. And when she doesn't call me, I don't call her. Because we're waiting for the other one to call! And my dad just wants one of us to call so he doesn't have to hear about it from both of us!

So I'll call her tomorrow like I said I would. I'm at least good (I think) about calling when I say I will. And if I get distracted or busy or lazy, I'll shoot her a text and tell her to expect my call the next evening...because let's face it, calling to tell her I'll call tomorrow is like her telling the family bye at a Sunday dinner...you don't leave until an hour later!


(Big shout out to my mom who is reading this, thanks for your support and love, I'll call tomorrow...err, tonite, since it's Monday morning already!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...